Monday, August 4, 2008

SRI


The New TREK TTX SSL (VERY SWEET!) Heading out on the Run


Steve - 0 takes the beer (in this case PowerBars)! Yep, yesterday was the kick in the butt that I needed to start my Kona preparation in earnest. I had a great time out there racing with the young guys, but it was a struggle all day to find any sort of rhythm. I had the same thing happen last year during the Lake Stevens 70.3 where it felt like I was stuck in 4th gear all day. Luckily this was an Olympic distance race so it was over relatively quickly.



A quick re-cap;
Swim went as expected, we watched Scotty take off and we tried to stay on his feet as long as possible, which wasn't all that long. I ended up leading a small group back from the final turn buoy. We ended up about 2 minutes down out of the water.
After a horrible transition where I couldn't find my bike amidst the tightly packed bike racks, I finally found the new TTX and worked my way back up to the few athletes who got out of the water with me. My goal was to try and get a lead off the bike, but on this day Steve-O was determined to stay with me and to his credit he wouldn't let me go. On a side note, the new TTX was awesome, I just need to put some more time on it and get use to being in the TT position once again. Steve and I finally caught Scotty just after the turn around and we hammered it back to transition. I was off the bike and into transition in front, but another poor transition and Steve-O was gone. He had told me before the race that his goal was to run the first 5km in the low 16's and he went out at close to that pace. I caught a few glimpses of him on the straight aways around the lake, but I just didn't have the turnover in my legs to make any kind of charge. The next goal to keep me going was to put in faster run splits than my two HPR team mates (Allan and Adrian) who were just behind me. In the end it was extremely close on this one. Another 3 seconds and Adrian would have had me. It was also great having Allan, Adrian and I go 1-2-3 in the 35 -39 age group.

I crossed the line in 2nd place about 1:30 down, but it was a super event and it was great to hang out at the finish line and watch all the other HPR athletes and friends finish strong on a beautiful summer day here in Victoria.

After the race we had a great team/housewarming BBQ at the new digs (and yes pictures are coming, has anyone seen an HP digital camera?).

Next Up -
Training Camp in Penticton
Vancouver Triathlon
Training Camp in Kona
Taper in Victoria
IRONMAN

No comments: