Friday, January 18, 2008

Change of Plans


Last week I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be ready for an early Ironman this season. My knee has been giving me some problems for a few weeks so I have had to change my season around. The initial plan was to go to Ironman New Zealand, have a great race, get a spot for Kona and then build the rest of the season around October. Unfortunately I missed a few key run sessions (biking is fine) and for me I need those sessions to get my head into the game. I am a little disappointed that I won't be able to race in March, but at the same time I think my body is telling me that I need to take a little bit of a break and slowly build up again (much like I did in 2006). My coach Randy and I are exploring a few different options for races, but right now my primary goal is to get the knee back to 100% and build up strength and a bigger aerobic engine. I have also been spending a lot of time in the pool with RTC guys. This is the Regional Development group here in Victoria so they are a very young enthusiastic bunch. Luckily we have a seniors lane with Jasper Blake, Mel Mcquaid, Rachel and myself. Patrick and Neil are really good a working with us and making sure we get what we need out of the workouts (like more rest)!

So for now, my schedule is pretty standard. Lots of strength and aerobic work, lots of swimming and time in the weight room and lots of coaching with Human Powered Racing and the new Island Triathlon Club. Life is Good!

No comments: