Monday, September 1, 2008

Vancouver Triathlon/ Leavin' on a Jet plane

Just a quick update as Ben and I make our way to Kona for a week of training on the Big Island.
Today was a surprisingly good day on the race course. I was pretty unsure of how I would do after a tough week of training. With multiple Ironman winner Jason Shortis on the start line as well as my HPR team mate Ben and a young fast kid (Jeff Symonds) from Penticton I knew that I would have to have a good day to win. Luckily I had a good day. I was just behind Shortis out of the water and then made it to the front of the bike by the end of the first lap of 4 on the bike. I managed to put some distance on the rest of the field (I am loving the new Trek TTX!) and start the run with a good cushion. At the first out and back I saw that I had about 30 seconds on Shortis. I tried to stay out of sight on the twisty turny run course and I think this payed off. The second time we hit this out and back the gap was the same. I endured a pretty painful blister from not taking the time to tighten my laces and made it to the finish 3 minutes faster than when I did this course last year and finished 3rd. Ben also had a great race. He was off the bike in 3rd, but was overtaken half way through the run by Symonds to finish a very solid 4th. At 2:00 this was an Olympic distance PB for Ben. He can expect a big day on October 11th.
More from Kona!

No comments: