Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Season Begins

Last weekend I traveled over to the mainland with Rach and a bunch of Human Powered Racing athletes to take part in a small sprint triathlon in Delta. This was the first time I had toed a start line since Kona and needless to say I was a little less fit and there was a little less pressure. This race is a very low key event with many people using it as their first triathlon as it is a very "friendly" course (700m pool swim/ 20km flat ride/ 5km flat run). I used this race 2 years ago as a tune up for the season and came 4th as a number of short course athletes had also chosen to use it as a training day. Last year I was on the sidelines cheering at this one as it marked Rach's first race back (and first victory) since her accident.

This year Rach and I had the trash talk going with regards to the swim, we knew we would be starting together, or close so it was a question of who would have bragging rights over that 700m swim. Fortunately I ended up getting in ahead of her and enjoyed a pretty smooth lane which gave me bragging rights by about 9 seconds. As for the rest of the race, I knew my main competition would be fellow HPR athlete Bob Cooter. Bob is a beast on the bike and has brought his swimming and running to another level so I knew it would be a good test. He is also very fit right now with his training for the Honu Half in Kona at the end of May.

The way things worked out were great. Bob was in the water 40 seconds ahead of me, so we were able to exit the pool together and then we rode pretty much the whole thing together (legally) with another young kid (Kyle Kennedy;very strong on the bike). I was first into transition, but was gapped by Bob onto the run. It took me about 500m to make up the gap and then I was able to run at a rhyhtm that gave me a slight cushion. All in all a really fun day. Not the World Championship by any stretch of the imagination, but the competition with Bob and Rach in training and on race day made for a very fun event. To be out there with the rest of the team was fantastic. As well as placing 1st and 2nd in the mens race and 1st in the women's we had Noreen Russell take 3rd in her age group and Laura Fluit take 2nd in hers. Congrats to everyone who raced!

Next week I am heading back to Columbus, Ohio for the long drive down to Panama City Beach, Florida and an attempt to win my 3rd straight Gulf Coast Half! I will try and document some of this trip with pictures. You definitely see some strange things in the deep south.

No comments: