Wednesday, November 17, 2010

One More Go Round


As I approach the upcoming season, I am looking at it in a much different light because I am 99% certain it will be my last. When I talk with the athletes that I coach I always tell them they should have a 2 or 3 year (sometimes longer) plan. I have always had those long term objectives going through my career and it kept things in perspective. Having that plan took the pressure off of the moment. Now that I am planning my 2011 season I feel that I am ready to start a long term vision with something other than Ironman racing in it. Not that Ironman won't always be a part of my life in some capacity (HPR, coaching etc.), but I think I have 1 or 2 of these races left in me. I am OK with that. My coach sent me an email at the end of last season, basically asking me to ask myself WHY? Why do I still want to do it? As anyone who has done an Ironman can tell you, looking for a WHY on the race course is too late. I have spent the past few months pondering this question and I think I have my answer. Is it something I have to share with anyone, not really. We all have our own reasons for doing this crazy sport and most people wouldn't get them anyways. Ironman has been the cornerstone of my life for the past 12 years. I can't wait to put everything I have learned into this year and get myself as fit as possible. For me that has always been what it is about; seeing how FIT I can get and how FAST I can go. I haven't seen a finish line in a while. It is about time I got back!

No comments: