Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Meeting "The Man"


As Jasper and I were riding the other day we got talking about the past 16 years of racing and we got to thinking that a lot of the best memories of this sport have nothing to do with the races themselves. Some of the most cherished moments come from the training, travel and the odd things that happen during those times. I thought I would start compiling a list of these times and I would just randomly post them here from time to time.

- I went to my first triathlon camp in 1994 (the year I got into the sport) in Hamilton, Ontario. It was a triathlon camp put on by Barrie Shepley and the special guest that weekend was a guy by the name of Dave Scott. I had heard of the him, but didn't realize that he was kind of a big deal :) The coolest thing about that weekend was seeing just how nice a guy he was. He was incredibly down to earth and willing to share his insights with anyone (including a 22 year old kid who didn't realize the extent of the guys talent or accomplishments). This one encounter with one of the sports superstars really made me appreciate it on a whole new level and shaped the next 17 years of my life. Oh ya, one of the other athletes at the camp was someone by the name of Lori Bowden. She went on to do alright in Hawaii too.

No comments: