Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Storm has Cleared

Unfortunately I was a casualty of this storm.
Thanks to all who have emailed and checked in with me.
Long story short; my back seized up on the bike and that was it, done.
Now, just to clarify, when you do Ironman you can expect to be in a fair amount of discomfort (which borderlines on pain towards the end of the marathon). Unfortunately, the discomfort turned to pain on the bike about 30 miles into this race. I pushed through it until mile 80 but I knew my day was done. I managed to ride back up to Wilmington where my coach was spectating and it was there that I officially called it a day. I knew I had made the right decision when I couldn't even bend over to get my shoes off.

Going into this race I was dealing with a few niggling injuries, my back wasn't one of them. I am not sure exactly what happened, but such is sport. Trying to figure these things out is part of the game. The good thing is that every bad race I have ever had has been followed by a good one. See you in Penticton.

No comments: