Sunday, June 28, 2009

4 Weeks and Counting

It was exactly 5 weeks ago tomorrow that I was hit by the car and exactly 4 weeks ago today that I strained my calf running with Ben at Elk Lake. This was one of those little strains that I didn't think much of at the time. I honestly thought it would be better by the Oliver Half one week later. Well, that didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I was still pretty confident that it would be better by the Penticton camp 3 weeks later. Wrong again! I took 4 days off completely at the beginning of last week (along with visits to all my support crew)in the hope that we could get to the bottom of the problem and it would have time to heal. So far, it hasn't and I have taken up water running.

I can't say that I am enjoying this particular chapter of my athletic life, but one thing that this injury is doing is giving me some serious perspective as a coach. As coach Mike I sometimes have to tell athletes that taking a bit of time off of running is not the end of the world and will not hurt them as much as they think. They can stay fit and get the running back when they are healthy enough to run pain free. Well, it is much easier advice to give than it is to receive. HOWEVER I know things will be alright in the end, because as someone once told me; if things aren't alright, it isn't the end.

“Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail.”
Charles F. Kettering

No comments: