Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 - Here We Are

Now that the tree is down, most of the chocolate has been eaten and all the beer has been drank (OK there are still a few in the fridge), I figured it is time to give a proper update. I am officially into Ironman prep mode. No more late nights, crap food and beer. I have just under 9 weeks to get ready. When I made the decision to race Ironman New Zealand there was about 2 feet of snow on the ground here so it was a bit of a gamble. Luckily the snow has melted and I can see the road once again. I will get a week in Kona before the race but that comes 2 weeks before the race so most of the long stuff will already be done here in the cold (or on the computrainer).

As for training, even though it was the holiday's I did manage to get in a fair bit of training, most of it swimming. I am really happy with my swimming right now. It is probably as good as it has ever been and that can make a big difference for me. Too often I am a minute or two behind the pace setters out of the water. This leaves me spending a lot of energy playing catch up on the bike and run, or hoping that the guys up front crack. The couple minutes I hope to gain in the water could change a lot come Kona and put my fate more in my hands.

My season is starting to come into focus. As it stands now I will be racing and training these dates;

January - Cobble Hill 10km
February - HPR Kona Camp
March 7 - Ironman New Zealand
March - HPR Tucson Camp
May 10 - Gulf Coast Half Iron
June 7 - Oliver Half
June - HPR Penticton Camp
July 12 - Desert Half
August 5 - Sri Triathlon
September 7 - Vancouver Triathlon
September - Kona Camp
October 10 - Kona

I am really looking forward to the new year. My 37th birthday is just around the corner, but I am feeling as fit and motivated as I ever have and I look forward to another year of testing myself against the best in October.

No comments: