Monday, October 6, 2008

VOG

Contemplating life? No, just checking email!

I am sitting here on the lanai watching people pounding out sub 6 minute miles along Alii drive. It always amazes me how many people look like 8 hour Ironmen during race week and then only a few actually do it on race day. Unfortunately I think a lot of people get caught up in the excitement of being on the race course and actually have their best runs on the Monday or Tuesday of this week. If there is one thing I have learned here, it is to resist the temptation to hammer out the training sessions the week before the race. As I mentioned to Ben earlier today; it only counts when the TV helicopters are hovering overhead.

On the weather front; the days have been really strange here. Clear blue skies in the morning and then the Vog (Volcanic Fog) seems to settle in mid day and everything gets very gray. Supposedly this stuff is really bad for your lungs, but I haven't really noticed any effects from it. Will it be a part of the story race day? We shall see.

No comments: