Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Rhythm!

When I talk to athletes about racing I am often find myself telling them to find rhythm.
Whether it is swimming, biking or running, finding a flow of movement that becomes rhythmic is what I am always striving for. Finding a fast rhythm is optimal, but that usually takes care of itself once you find yourself concentrating on nothing but breathing and form. When you look at all of the greats in any sport they have this in common. When I watch the guys (Peter Reid, Tim Deboom and Mark Allen really stick out in my mind) who win Hawaii year after year, they are hurting but you wouldn't know it because they are metronomes out there.

I find training to be similar. I have to find a rhythm from day to day. Luckily I have found that again. Since returning from California my day to day routine has been established and there is a rhythm to it. I love it when I get into this mode. All is well, the work is getting done and I am healthy. It is as if my body has decided it is time to go again. Let the season begin!

No comments: