Friday, February 22, 2008

Making Plans



Today is a rest day here at the camp for most (and they deserve it). A few of us are going to jump on the bikes and head into town to do one of the tougher climbs on this side of the Island. I have never done this climb, but I have heard it is extremely tough. We shall see.


Yesterday was a relatively easy day. We met up early and travelled into Kona for a swim on the Ironman course. We had a couple of kayaks out there with us, but that didn't lessen the anxiety that many people were feeling going out into the open ocean. Everyone overcame their fears and had a great swim. After the swim we put on our running gear and ran up to the Queen K highway and covered the last couple miles of the Ironman Course. Running these last miles is always a thrill, running them on race day is what I train for. I think a few people now have added incentive.


Last night we had an evening out at the Kona Brewing Company. It was here that I decided to let the team know that I would be racing with them at Ironman Couer D'Alene. I have been trying to keep from making any race plans since the knee flared up in January, but after a week of solid training I came to the conclusion that I am ready and it is time to start making some concrete racing plans for the season. So as it stands now, I will do a short tune up race in Delta (pool swim, sprint race) in April, The Gulf Coast Half in May and then Couer D'Alene in June.


Here are some pictures from yesterday.


No comments: